Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult


I'm now very diligently catching up with my reading which I have somehow abandoned for quite some time due to life circumstances. After the series of Shopaholics, to sit, relax and enjoy a book seems almost impossible now. Nevertheless, when there's a will there's always a way.

A zillion thanks to a dear gorgeous friend of mine, Anna Maria who presented me with this amazingly beautiful book PLAIN TRUTH by her favourite author, Jodi Picoult for my birthday. I have to admit that I'm too far behind time with Picoult's work. Yet, never too late.

The novel offers the insight into an Amish community, which I have almost nil knowledge about, particularly an Amish girl who is being convicted of a murder of her newborn who later has to deal with the modern civilized legal system outside the box of her own world. That was what first moved me into reading it. I've never really known much about the Amish except the fact that they are miles away from any modernization and this book is no doubt my best opportunity. True enough, what I learned about this protective, rural community is by far interesting and engaging especially their way of life and beliefs. Reading Plain Truth has made me realize how one can be very fragile yet standing strong as long as we adhere to our faith and what we believe in, and nobody can take anything away from us regardless what may come. Upon finishing my reading, I felt for Katie, the Amish girl and I admire her for her courage, standing brave, self-composed despite what she is forced to face in a world very alien to her. Also the unconditional love of a mother who willingly takes a bullet for her child given any circumstances. I'm never good at reviewing a book, but to recommend this to readers out there, I know is what I will do.

Here's a little something by the author :

Katie Fisher is Amish. For eighteen years, she has grown up in a community set apart from the modern world by lifestyle and belief. It is a community fiercely protective of its way of life. To turn your back on it is to lose everything - your church, your home, and your family. So in the middle of the night when the baby comes, Katie does the only thing she knows how to do in times of stress : she prays. She falls asleep, exhausted, and when she wakes it seems her prayer is answered. The baby is gone. Her father need never know. But faith alone cannot help when the child's body is found.

I'll start reading another of her work tomorrow, MERCY. And later am thinking of buying Picoult's MY SISTER'S KEEPER, highly recommended by my sis-in-law. Then, I'll know whether or not I should sign up for Picoult's fan club.

3 comments:

Lee said...

Hi Shera, there's a fairly big Amish (Memonite) community here in Ontario, about 90 km from where we are...they living in a rural community and going thru their community you would think you're back in time 250 years ago.
Have to be careful driving too as these kind, gentle folks don't own cars, they go about on horse buggies, just like the ones you see in cowboy movies.

And no TV, no electricity...strictly like my old days kampong experience...and the clothes they wear victoria fashions too.
But there's a pasar malam where they sell their handicrafts, fruits and vegetables....hand grown.
They till their fields using horses, not tractors.
Oh ya, of course no computers too.

Shera, as you are into books, see if you get get hold of Dr. Han Su Yin's book of her life story, "Love is a many splendored thing'....you'll love it. She worked in Malaysia before, I think at Batu Gajah GH for awhile.

I read mostly autobios of prime ministers and preseidents and famous generals.
Have a nice day, Shera, Lee.

Shera said...

Hi Uncle,
Exactly how the Amish is pictured in the book I read. It's so amazing that they could simply shut both eyes denying the modernization we live in. Clothes wise is all black and white and covered, yes as u put it - victoria fashion. Very unlike Victoria's Secrets...hehehe.

Will see if I could find Dr. Han's book. Frankly, I lack the art of choosing a good book to read or buy , mainly go by recommendations. So, hopefully I'll love Dr. Han's work just as much. Thanks.

Take care Uncle Lee.

Lee said...

Hi Shera, I love the colour of your song player and now have same colour too. Very pleasing to the eye.
You certainly have nice selections of songs.
You keep well and have a nice evening, Lee.