Sunday, July 20, 2008

Baby, I love u

Sitting here alone, at wee hours simply brings back the sweet memory of my first meeting with dear hubby 17 years ago, back in 1991. I was only 17 years old, anticipating for the adult life to come (ops...shouldn't have been too excited about it, regrets!), just finished high school (yeay!), already sat for SPM exam and clueless not knowing what to do to kill time. Walking around, I passed by a bakery shop in need of an assistant. Walked in and I offered myself for the job, not knowing what I was getting myself into. Later found out that the lady boss was desperate for a cashier as the old one had just resigned to balik kampung. Feeling sorry for her (cant believe I actually felt that!), I agreed to take up the job with only RM280 monthly. Being a 17 year old girl who probably had never imagined to own such money, it was a big WOW for me back then. After all, I just needed to occupy myself with some teenage fun while making money. Well, I can't be sure now - how is being a cashier fun? God knows....but it certainly was back in 1991, especially after a month working there.

One morning, an ordinary guy walked in, self-serviced himself to a cup of coffee and a slice of apple pie with a copy of NST. Well, he was just another guy, another customer. Paid and left once he was done with breakfast. After weeks, a regular he became, we exchanged smiles, that was it. Still the same coffee and apple pie for breakfast on daily basis.



Months passed by, from merely smiles came the brief conversations. My indulgence at that time was the HACKS sweets, I was suffering from coughs, if I'm not mistaken. Took a lot of it. I even had to store them in my bag all the time. I think, he was a close observer. One morning, he walked in as usual and presented me with a small box of gift. Surprised? Yes. Flattered? Yes too, yet didn't act like one, had to stay cool ok....and play a little hard to get, of course. Just unwrap it girl and so I did. It was the box of a light bulb!!! What? A light bulb? Trying to say 'U light up my life'??? Wait...lets not jump into any clumsy conclusions, be optimistic Shera. This guy had class, can't be a light bulb for sure. So, I opened the box, feeling a little apprehensive of the sight of a light bulb though, and revealed the content of it. And I.....I smiled exposing my two dimples. Hihihi... How thoughtful he was. It was a box full of ......HACKS!!!! Maybe for weeks of supply! Now, that's flattering. His first gift for me....My cough? I wished it lasted for months, but it did not. The magic of HACKS....filled with love.....



After Hacks, came sunflower seeds. As a matter of fact, I was addicted! I'm sure some of you share the same issue once the devil seeds landed in the mouth! Can't put a stop to it! I could recall spending so much buying it from 7-Eleven, just next door. Surely I'd touched the soft spot in him that I guessed he finally took pity on me, well...a 17 year old girl earning so little, yes, so little and yet helplessly spending it on seeds? Then again, as thoughtful as he was, supplies came in right away!!! Bravo....



Sunflower seeds were still coming in....
Until one day, we had a mundane argument. Seriously, it was just an act of trying to bermanja a bit which instead ended up with a rather big fight. I, then was holding a pack of sunflower seeds, fresh supply from him, still intact in its pack, when out of anger and rage, I threw it onto the floor! All scattered all over. OMG, that was my supply for the day! Ahem...he bought me another pack! That one I ate, thrown into my throat.

Blessings in disguise - the devil seeds and the stupid fight that day brought us together on 3 January 1992. Only then, after episodes of light bulb, Hacks and sunflower seeds, roses made its first emergence between us.



For better or for worse, take your pick darling, I've made mine :-)
.......Baby, I love u.

3 comments:

jabishah said...

Shera dear,
I've known both of you for so long but never knew about this Hacks story. Cute je Syafiq.Like your style... playing hard to get. But did you really ? ;-)
Still remember Syafiq waiting patiently in his car... mmm (why do I picture a van in my head here?). Jealous tu! Ye lah, then Jemir was in Scotland. But when he's back, he joined Syafiq in the waiting business outside our college. Hahaha! I doubt tho they knew each other then.
Talked abt this suddenly teringat muka security guard yg fair tu. He was one big problem when I wanted to go out. Pernah tracked me down once till our block. Merely because I went out for more than 2 hrs. There was such rule kan? Giler kelaka!
Wish you & Syafiq all the happiness in the world!

Shera said...

Ja darling,
The waiting business back then was far better and more romantic than today! Hahaha...Of course love was in the air, still fresh, no worries then. As compared to today, children pun always kacau whenever they see Ibu Ayah sitting so close together. That day Aleesya laughed when Ibu Ayah held hands walking at the mall, her remarks - Eh, Ayah pegang Ibu's hands! Imagine that, Ja.
The guards semua tu jealous! They can just witness the lovey dovey couples yet had to endure their own marital pain. Now, being married, I understand why...hahaha.
Wish u all the happiness too....

Lizamurni Lokman said...

Shera,
Wah...boleh tahan u all ni.....yup, same like Ja, I could still remember Syafiq waiting for you especially on Fridays.....he's so tall and you're so cute.....such an adorable couple.....
Abt the pak guard, one Friday, he actually waited near my car and muka mcm bagus jer and asked me who bought the car for me...what the %$#^@&#*^.....dia ingat i simpan sugar daddy agaknyer....