Monday, July 7, 2008

I've got a STAR

Today, the day when I am six once again....

As I gracefully walked in, entering the ever crowded staff room at work this morning, I was taken aback by the sight of a bright yellow star placed on my table. What is this? It couldn't be there for no reason since it wasn't there the last time I left work last Friday. Has somebody dropped it? Try dropping money too the next time. I'd never wonder why and how...hahaha! Promise! It was a perfectly designed star though. Laminated. Wow..Somebody had really put a lot of effort for the perfection of it. I sank into my seat trying to figure out, well, got nothing better to do for the next 10mins back then. So, no harm really....

Then, it struck me! OMG!!! Uuuhhhh....Don't tell me....I couldn't help smiling away, feeling proud of myself. Like a six year old girl, I proudly and childishly announced to my other colleagues nearby, telling them - Hey, I've got a STAR!!! I've got a STAR!!! Wanna know something? I'm among the very few (3 maybe out of 150 staffs)who received this bright shiny yellow star on that particular morning. So, what's the whole deal?

U may have a good laugh at this...Recently, in the effort of making the staff room looks more welcoming and inviting (ie - tidy...imagine the eyesore), my HM unofficially launched a sort of competition among teachers for the tidiest workstation (table that is). Hehehe....and we call ourselves teachers! Mind u, we, teachers of the 2000s cum clerks have tons of paperworks and documents to handle every minute, on top of the core business of teaching and looking good in front of the students, no matter how. So, just imagine the mountains of papers, books, even rubbish involved in the whole process, resulting in a rather unnecessary mess at our respective tables. To cut the long story short, the tidiest table would be awarded with a STAR (the one I got...hihihi) when the committee in charge go around inspecting, of course unannounced. And the usual me have always made sure to leave my table tidy and neat every time before leaving work. It's kinda habit that I'm used to - sincere and without any specific intention. Merely for the pleasure of my eyes actually. Just another of the few good habits of mine.

I was proud of my unintentional 'achievement' and guess what, the star really brought back the little girl in me. I was amazed and intoxicated - how the little star had made me feel inside. Simply said, proud and overwhelmed. Just like a six year old girl getting one for her ABC, 123 victory. Wow...I actually went around talking about the star I've got. No arrogance (maybe a bit la..), just pride, and a little of adrenalin rush....hahaha.

This reminds me of the smile my eldest daughter always wears every time I mark a star in her exercise book for her achievement, great or otherwise. It sure makes her proud and motivated. The same rule applies to me, a 34 year old lady. Sometimes we just forget how a small token as such could make one's day. I'm 34, not 6, but it made my day alright!

So, people, acknowledgments and rewards are important, come in any forms. Hence, compliment and acknowledge those who duly deserve it! Start with hubby (maybe they should start first :) ), wife, children....see their smiles.

I'll let the STAR stay there for the whole week and will remove it on Friday, as if I've not gotten any yet. Let's see if I'll get another one next week. hehehe....i'm so motivated now! I'll reach the stars....

PS - If taking home into consideration, I wonder if I deserve a star...imagine that!

6 comments:

Chahya said...

well, congratulations! Can't imagine Laila getting a star for that though...hehehe...

Lizamurni Lokman said...

Shera,
Congrats!!!!! Kan dah kata, TESLians mmg power!!!!

Lee said...

Hi Shera, I'll kick star by saying you have a lovely smile. 2 stars for you,
Have a nice day,Lee.

Lee said...

Ooops, wrong spelling, should be 'Star'. Lee.

Shera said...

Chahya,
With proper guidance and coaching, a little determination and motivation, Laila might just get a star too! Hehehe....

Dikny,
Nak try kejar bulan pulak after this...

Uncle Lee,
Thanks, yet u havent seen me laughing my heart out! Not lovely anymore, u know...Hence, I'll resign to smiling only now. That ok?

jabishah said...

Shera,
That's always a child in each one of us... Congrats babey!