Saturday, July 5, 2008

SEPI by Kabir Bhatia



To have watched and enjoyed CINTA years back, also directed by this supertalented Kabir Bhatia, I just had to see SEPI on last Wednesday. And...???? It wasn't as good as CINTA, but for all it is worth, SEPI is far far better. This heart-felt romantic film depicts three different stories of love and loneliness, in which later are brought together in a life-changing incident. I personally cant stop admiring the brilliant cinematography, beautiful script, the scenic sets, also the superb casts. Believe it or not, I had tears over the hilarious Afdlin Shauki, who has proven that he is just as funny even without any single props in hand. As for Pierre Andre, I had always labeled him as just another actor. But in SEPI, I have to admit, he's a real talent and I simply love his character, very convincing. Tony Eusoff, the ever famous TV commercials hunk, who would have thought that he could sway the viewers far better than his persuasive acts in commercials. And Baizura Kahar, a potential talent in the making. I somehow just hate the wig though. And Vanida Imran, being one of the greatest, to find her savouring and loving every word of her lines, she's excellent. By the way, she's also gorgeous in SEPI, especially when wearing the Camelia flower in her hair. I now wonder how Camelia smells... Nasha Aziz, FUNNY, HILARIOUS !!! What a character!!! Splendid acts. Eja, however, I think she plays the same Eja as in her other movies, barely distinguishable.

Overall, what I love most about SEPI is the fact that viewers are not crowded with unnecessary details like most Malay films do. The plot is rather simple but focused and emotionally compact, truly effective. SEPI is undeniably outstanding and has taken a different lead to where our Malay films should be going. A great Malay movie which is hard to come by nowadays, and I reckon that u go and watch it for yourself.

PS - I later recognized the different SEPI (loneliness) interpreted in our lives...mine to say the least.

No comments: