Friday, June 27, 2008

SHE-RA, the hero!!!

Nothing beats the love and care of a Cikgu...

This morning at work, ie school, when assembly was in progress, I was suddenly alarmed by a prefect of a girl student who just collapsed and whose face had turned real blue. She was short, almost out of breath. She was immediately taken in into a classroom, laid on the tables and when checked, I could clearly tell that she was indeed gasping for air. Her chest was pumping hard, lips blue, face deadly pale. As a few other of my colleagues were attending to her, I just stayed aside, watching and praying. Later, we learned that she has been suffering from a heart failure for years now and is in fact in the waiting list for a heart transplant which was supposedly due last year. A teacher called for an ambulance instantly. The nearest clinic is only 5 mins away but considering the critical stage she was at and time taken for the aid to arrive, we decided to drive her to the clinic instead. So, I volunteered to drive accompanied by another teacher and a few students.

We hit the road. The usual traffic slowed us down, I put on the hazard lights to no avail. I stuck my hand out, trying to signal demanding to be put through the heavy traffic, it failed too as it was a single lane, so of no help really. I was really praying hard I would arrive at the clinic on time and be saved from being responsible for anything bad that might happen to this sick girl. Just between my prayers, minutes later that I could hear the ambulance siren, making its appearance at the crossroad. But I was on the other side of the road, so how lah? There was no way I could make a turn. Then, like a thunder came the superwoman in me. I walked out of the car, pulled up my kain and crossed over to the other side and like nobody's business, I stood in the middle of the road, frantically waving and shouting for the ambulance to stop, in my gorgeous red floral baju kurung and high-heels (luckily no DKNY handbag). Wow, the ambulance did slow down (of course, what choice was there?) , but the driver was rather confused with the whole incident. It eventually stopped and the driver looking puzzled insisted that I make way for it to proceed - SAYA NAK AMBIL ORANG SAKIT LAH, he said. OMG...at that instant, from the look on his face, I swore to God that he could have mistakenly taken me as the one who actually in need of medical attention (mental???). Beautiful lady, ahemmm, but a fuse up there is a little bit haywire!!!! Hehehe...I shouted like mad to the driver that the sick was in the car I was driving.

So, once convinced he steered the ambulance and parked next to the road divider. A stretcher was pulled out of the ambulance and we transported the sick girl from my car to the ambulance, in the midst of the heavy traffic, in the middle of the road. Off they went leaving me by the roadside. My colleague accompanied her. I set back in the car feeling 'phewww'.... and drove back to school. I had a minute to actually recall and analyze what I just did to save the child's life. Never had I imagined that I would risk myself that way, especially in one of my best office attires (at least it was my best appearance if i got knocked down). Well, something I would do for my family but here, she is not family. Just another soul....

Then, something which I just read in Readers Digest (June issue) flashed before my eyes. There's always a hero in us, just how intense it is that makes one a hero and others not. Guess mine was quite intense at that moment of time. So, I consider my brave risky act was heroic, so what!!! I suddenly thought of this - A parent would move mountains and take a bullet for her child. Well, I am a mother, also a teacher who has just moved a mountain and taken a bullet to save a student's life! Hahaha....May God save her....

5 comments:

jabishah said...

Shera,
Bukan ke ada superhero She-ra masa kita kecik dulu. Kakaka to He-man ke apa ntah... Oklah tuh! Hahaha. But seriously, you did what you have to do. We sometimes forget the circumstances. But I'm sure if nawaitu ikhlas, Allah is always there looking after you. Anyway, how's the student? Any news?

Shera said...

Ja dear,
I was told that she is hospitalized now. Once arrived at the clinic, she was put on a lot of wires everywhere on her body, heartbeat was really weak....i mean, really weak! Kesian dia, she has lost her mother & father long ago, now living with her bro and sis. Lets just pray for her recovery. She's only 16 and already in need of a heart transplant kan... Semoga our loved ones, esp children, sihat selalu...Amin...

Shera said...

Ja,
Yes, mmg ada, kakak HE-MAN!!!! Tapi i'm the fully dressed version of SHE-RA! Hahaha...

Lizamurni Lokman said...

Shera,
Way to go.....sometimes when the need arises, we couldn't care less about our own safety.....I'm sure ada hikmah di sebalik everything....

JoElier said...

this is exactly why i truly believe you are with the best of mukmins right now shera..i hope your girls will be able to see this and know their mom was a real hero.

ps:sapa sapa yg pandai agak boleh save this for them tak?