Thursday, June 5, 2008

Fuel oh fuel....

As much as it was predicted by many, the fuel price has increased again.......this time by 78 sen, to my disbelief!!! What's happening really? First was the food shortage and now this. What's next?

I was driving home from the zoo with my hubby and children when roads everywhere were flooded with cars at 6pm. We took it as the usual post office hours scenario only too much to bear. Later, we sensed something was amiss - every petrol pump we passed by was amazingly crowded and cars were queuing up, occupying the left lane the most. It was then when the radio presenter mentioned about the announcement by our PM of the fuel price that was a no shock at first, until the mention of 78 sen effective midnight!!! Well, we were too busy entertaining the animals at the zoo, not otherwise though, to keep ourselves abreast with this latest news. Anyway, 78 sen???? That's so ridiculous!!! So, as a normal human being with rational mind and excellent mathematical skills (upon calculating the cost after midnight), my hubby quickly made a turn at TTDI and joined the unnecessary 'fun'. So, full tank we had.....

Now, what amazes me is the fact that we Malaysians are very responsive and quick when our financial state is concerned, or maybe at stake? I can't be sure anymore. Imagine I was stranded in Uptown Damansara for almost 30 mins, in a bumper to bumper, almost static traffic! People were driving out to fuel up at 9pm! What else could it be? My hubby had to find alternative routes to escape the terrible traffic and failed to find one as it was EVERYWHERE! The only breather we finally had was the NKVE via Kota Damansara toll and right up to Shah Alam.

So, we reached home at 10pm, I quickly bathed and rushed out to the petrol pump for my tank then. Wow, it was worse. At 10.30pm, cars were in lines stretching up to 2km long! At every petrol pump there is within my immediate vicinity. Two had closed, out of fuel supply I'm sure. So, I drove around only to find something a little less stressful and joined the fun. Had my Jodi Picoult with me and I started reading to kill time. Believe it or not, the waiting was worth 12 pages of the book! After almost 25mins of waiting, I finally drove home with a full tank of petrol.......and I literally uttered ALHAMDULILLAH....

And frankly, I can't wait for tomorrow to come to see the review and comments by us, the consumers, the people of Malaysia regarding this matter. I understand that it's a global issue but....hmmm....I have so much to analyze and reflect now!!!! Yeah...as if I don't have any other better things to do...hahahahah!!!

3 comments:

Lizamurni Lokman said...

I had almost the same experience. As I was driving back home from work, I was amazed at how cars were piling up at petrol pumps, not realising that fuel would be of different price in few hours. So, at first I just ignored the commotion, then, when I wanted to go to Giant, there was it, the queue to the petrol pump which was just next to Giant was really looonnnggg.......only then I knew that something was wrong.....hahahahha......and what the heck, I joined in the line....

jabishah said...

Dikny,
I was at my parents' & saw the cars queueing patiently near the Giant. You were one of them ke? Did not hv the patient tho. Good thing I filled up the tank earlier that morning.

Shera,
Ya la... 78sen is rather ridiculous! This subject of fuel is never an ending... Am waiting for other prices to go up. In fact, was at Carrefour last night. The crowd there was surprisingly, more than usual. Guess ppl were out buying rations before prices go up.

Take care you two..

Nic said...

Thanks Malaysian Government for driving us to this madness..
Seeing the km-long queues reminded me of Independence day.. like the end of the world is coming and we're running away to god-knows-where.. to safety? to even bigger danger?

Shera, Dikny, Ja,
Excuse me if I don't write about this in my blog. It's too depressing. And I don't even live in KL.

Looks like my fortnight trips to my mum's in KJ would have to be `reviewed'.

Why don't we review the Menteri's salary pulak? How about that for a change kan?