Friday, May 16, 2008

Happy Teacher's Day

Greetings to all teachers out there...

I had always thought that this special day is in the honour of being a guru to a child. Children running up to u, wishing u with a sincere thankful smile Happy teacher's Day, teacher. At least that was what I anticipated last nite. Too bad, reality bites. That's not the case at all.

One thing for sure, we are just another human being in the children's eyes. Another being they see everyday. Nobody special, just another being!

I'm relating this to myself as a teacher. This morning, I walked passing by a crowd of children, entered classes and sat in there for at least 35 mins each, an hour the most, hoping to be noticed on this special day. Well, it was just another day at school. Students wished Good Morning and went straight back to their own business. And I? Of course, I smiled, disappointed. Being the optimistic one, I sought comfort --- It's exam day. They are too busy to even remember such a mundane day.

Do we have a special place in their hearts? Have we touched them in any way at all that reminds them to at least utter the words of Happy Teacher's Day or a thoughtful Thank You, Teacher? I wonder. Obviously it's not the presents/gifts we hope for, but a sincere greetings that comes from the heart is the most valuable and precious on this day. Something we, teachers seem to have given up hope for. So, another day of school had past and ended, as usual. The only sunlight we all teachers shared to brighten up our day was our own Happy Teacher's Day smiles and wishes.

Cents for thoughts? My colleagues and I discussed this over coffee this morning with disappointment and frustration, realising the fact how the children can be so indifferent nowadays . Is this common in Malaysia? I don't know. Fellow teachers, please share, what say u?

To us all,

Forget the speeches, the presents
and the fact
that you may in fact be doing things today
that make you wonder
if it is indeed a day in your honour.
Celebrate the fact that in spite of it all,
you still want to remain a teacher!

Mak cakap CIKGU macam Maggie,
Makanan rutin time susah,
Ayah cakap CIKGU macam D'SEEKERS, menakutkan
Atuk cakap CIKGU macam ASTRO, macam2 ada,
tapi saya cakap CIKGU macam L'OREAL,
kerana dirimu begitu berharga.


Happy Teacher's Day....

2 comments:

Shida said...

Shera,

I would like to wish you Happy Teachers' Day, albeit too late. I salute you and the rest who have stayed true to the teaching profession :).

Shera said...

Shida,
Thanks for the wish. True enough that it has never been easy especially with the children nowadays being so difficult. In spite of it all, I have begun to enjoy what I do now, maybe adaptation is all it takes. Having said that, I personally feel that ur job is more happening and fun...hahaha.
Thanks for visiting...